Tips from Quinovic Parnell to Help Prevent Your Christmas Gifts Being Stolen
The festive season can be the time of year when thieves target your presents – both in your home and vehicle. With the warm weather we tend to get out and about more. There’s invitations and celebrations this time of year too – so you could be leaving your home unattended more than usual.
We thought now would be the perfect time to offer you some tips. They apply to home owners and tenants of rental properties:
- Keep Valuables Out of Sight in Your Car: When out Christmas shopping ensure valuables and gifts are out of sight. In the Christmas rush it can be easy to put everything on the back seat and rush to the next store without a moment’s thought. Use your boot or parcel shelf. Check gifts and valuables are out of sight and ensure you lock your car if you need to leave it unattended.
- Place Your Gifts Out of Sight Until Christmas Day: Put off placing your gifts under the tree until as close to Christmas Day as possible. It’s a good idea to close the curtains so all presents are out of sight.
- Store Valuable Items in a Secure Place: Make sure your valuable presents are away in a lockable cupboard, stored in a bedroom or in a secure locked garage.
- Keep Boxes and Receipts Out of Sight: Your boxes and receipts should be out of sight from prying eyes and we suggest making sure they aren’t visible through windows.
- Get Your Online Gifts Delivered Elsewhere: Online shopping is more and more popular. Get your online gifts delivered to an address where someone is there all day, or at your workplace.
- Avoid Placing Gifts in One Place: While it’s tempting to store all your gifts in one place, it’s a good idea to store them in multiple areas in your home.
- Be Careful How You Dispose of Packaging from Expensive Items: With so many great offers around the festive season it can be the perfect time to buy a big ticket item or upgrade the television. Take your packaging away for recycling to the local refuse centre, or break or rip it into smaller pieces which are unable to be identified.
We hope our tips have helped you to enjoy your festive season.